Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What a Week it was.

Well I definitely went longer than I would have liked without writing. Now there's so much stuff I'm going to forget but we'll see how it goes...

So I get a call from my mom on Thursday (Feb 24) saying that Uncle Bill isn't doing so well. They've said that anyone that wants to come see him and say goodbye should do so this weekend. My thoughts immediately go back to the last time that I saw him in June - now you should know, he's been sick for several years with alzheimers/dementia and he has his good days and his bad days- that day he KNEW who I was. I don't know what kind of day it was for him but it was definitely a good day for me. A bunch of the family was at Bill and Molly's house because some family was in from out of town. Uncle Bill was sitting in his chair, same as always, and as I was walking by him he reached out and grabbed my arm and says "Julie! How're you doing today?" I know my face lit up. I didn't expect him to know who anybody was with as busy as their house was that day and he just reached out and grabbed me. Later on when someone asked to take a picture of him, they held up the camera with the usual, "say cheeeeese!" Uncle Bill mustered up what smile he could, glanced at me and said "Julieeeeee."
That was my last memory of him. That's what I wanted to hold on to. We didn't go home that weekend.

On Sunday (27) Mom called again and offered to fly me home for the funeral. She said he was still hanging on but he was in a coma and  wouldn't be much longer. I wanted to come home but I didn't want to see him like that. I didn't want to replace the memory I was holding on to. And we didn't even know when the funeral would be yet... I wanted Mickey to come home with me. I didn't want to do that alone. Mom didnt' want me to drive home from Kentucky all upset but we weren't about to fly home with plane tickets at $1000/ea.

Monday (28) Mickey put in for leave and I began packing. I looked up the weather... I didn't even remember what 75* felt like anymore- that's shorts weather right? Well of course it took me ALL day to pack because Houston weather is ridiculous and we were going to be there for a week... who knows what we were going to do... Mickey of course only took 20 minutes to pack- if that. Got an email from Mom saying Uncle Bill had opened his eyes that morning.

Tuesday (Mar 1) Mickey drove to post to sign out while I finished loading the truck. Then, we hit the road. Only took us 14 1/2 hrs to get home. The last half hour was ridiculous b/c we decided to stop at Jack in the Box and get a movie at the redbox. Got there bout 830, ate dinner and crashed.

Wednesday (2) We went and saw Uncle Bill and the family. I had all these things I wanted to say to him- I'd been thinking about it for days- but when I saw him, when I was standing next to him, none of it would come out. He just laid there with his eyes closed taking rapid, deep breaths. They said he could hear us if we talked to him, but the words wouldn't come. I stood at the end of the bed, and rested my hand on his foot, his leg twitched when I touched his toes like he was ticklish. Taylor came in and rubbed his arms and legs and he seemed to relax. Jake just sat in the chair staring. This wasn't the Uncle Bill I remembered. This wasn't the Uncle Bill I wanted to remember. I wish I could say that in the end I was glad I got to see him... but I didn't even tell him goodbye.

After we said goodbye to the family we headed to Cavenders. Afterall, we were in Houston during Rodeo season and weren't about to pass that up.


Thursday (3) was rodeo day. We went early so we could check out the cows (and the newborns!) at the livestock show. Unfortunately, since it was only the beginning of the rodeo season, there were only a couple (super cute) new baby animals but there were plenty of cows. the rodeo portion was slightly dissapointing... Only two of the bullriders made 8 seconds and the calf ropers kept getting penalties. It seemed a whole lot longer when I was a kid, but that seems to be right on par with everything else. My favorite part of the rodeo was, of course, the kangaroo. Yes, I said Kangaroo... Check it out...

I took a picture of the photograph with my phone so its not great quality but you get the idea. :)
Friday (4) was golf day. My first time playing golf ever. The front nine was awful but I'd improved a little by the time we got to the back nine. I even ALMOST got a hole-in-one. No kidding, thisclose!

Of course, its not like I lobbed in in the air and that's where it landed. It was a 96yd shot and when I hit it, it never even went in the air. It shot straight across the ground, hit the bunker of the sand trap right in front of the green and bounced over it and then this is where it landed. Lucky shot. :) In the end I only played 14 holes... that's when the weakness and stomach pains started.... and still haven't gone away.
By dinner that night the abdominal cramps were awful. I had to sit up super straight just to stretch my stomach out to make it feel slightly better.

Saturday (5) we had breakfast with Joey and Amy- only 4 1/2 more weeks until I'm an aunt!!!! So super exciting! Then we went to Jeffrey's baseball game- they won 3-0! Then we headed to the Woodlands for some yummy coal-fired pizza, soapapilla cheesecake :) , and presents! Almost forgot that Sunday was my birthday. ;)

Sunday(6) we drove back home. Well, Mickey drove back home, I spent the majority of the trip asleep in the back seat trying not to throw up. Uncle Bill was still holding on last the last time I heard.

And here we are. Home sweet home. Even had a couple birthday packages waiting for me when we got back.
I made a doctor appointment for Friday to see about these abdominal cramps (and various other symptoms noody really cares to know) that started Friday. I dont know if I'm going to keep it. Maybe they'll go away on their own. Or hopefully, I'd have work that day... who knows???

Speaking of work, I dont think I ever mentioned my interviews. I had a group interview for the Gap where we all sat around and answered questions- that was different. I also had one with Bluegrass Celllular. I got offered the job at the Gap and was supposed to hear about the BC job by Thursday but never did. I called yesterday to check and she was supposed to get back to me so I know what to tell the Gap. I have to call them today.

I'll let ya know what happens!

Sidenote: We gave Gracie a haircut yesterday. Cut it ALL off. Now she's hideous. Its awful. I feel really bad for her but she smells so much better without all that hair. Oh well, it'll grow back :D

Feed my fish at the bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment